Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Did You Know Women Play With Smaller Balls?

In a real show stopping move, WNBA player Sheryl Swoopes has come out of the closet. That makes her the most prominent (non-retired) athlete to ever come out, though sadly we doubt if many are surprised. Swoopes said she was “tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about.”

It’s interesting that she uses the same thought that so many of us used when waiting to come out to our family and friends - the whole “I’m waiting until I have someone I care about that I can show to my parents” logic. Also notable that like so many of the rest of us as we came out, she unconsciously falls into using a gender non-specific pronoun, probably because she’s so used to doing it.

We can’t wait for the part when, just like the rest of us, her girlfriend cheats on her with another woman and all of the carefully crafted understanding she’s built with her family crumbles in a mess of rage and confusion, leaving her parents and siblings with the same antiquated stereotypes about the gay lifestyle that they had before.

Okay, maybe that only happened to us. But still, wouldn’t a bitchin’ WNBA lesbo smackdown be awesome?

Thanks to dreamy Andy for finding this story. Call us!

No comments: